We've put down a few important pointers here regarding some of the EU regulations and other European countries
EU Countries: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Germany, Denmark, Spain, Estonia, France, Finland, United Kingdom, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Ireland, Luxemburg, Lithuania, Latvia, Malta, Netherlands, Portugal, Poland, Romania, Sweden, Slovakia and Slovenia. Information correct up to 2007
- On the spot fines are common in many European countries, for each fine an official receipt should be issued.
- Speed camera detectors are illegal in many European countries, whether in use or not. In France you are even liable to a prison sentence!
- In Austria and Switzerland all vehicles using motorways and expressways must display a vignette (like a local road tax). Failure to do so will result in heavy on the spot fines. You can pick these vignettes at major crossings and major petrol stations.
- Penalties for speeding are more severe in the EU than the UK, fines can range up to €2750.
- Switzerland and Norway aren't part of the EU and so you will need local currency to get by, Swiss Francs in Switzerland and Norwegian Krones in Norway. Even though Monaco isn't part of the EU, the currency they trade with is EUROS.
- You must have a GB sticker on your vehicle while travelling around the EU.
- There are no limits what you buy and bring back with you as long as it is for personal use. Guidelines for Tobacco and Alcohol limits are set for the obvious reasons, any more than allowed requires you to present a believable case that the goods are for personal use. For a limited time, the UK are maintaining limits on cigarettes brought back from Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia and Slovenia.
800 cigarettes or 400 cigarillos or 200 cigars or 1 kg of tobacco
10 litres of spirits of 20 litres of fortified wine or 90 litres of wine (of which a maximum of 60 litres of sparkling wine) or 110 litres of beer
- 112 is the Emergency number to dial anywhere in the EU
- Speed Limits (Countries we and others have visited):
|France||Motorway - 130kmh||Rural - 90 kmh||Town - 50 kmh|
|Spain||Motorway - 120kmh||Rural - 90/100 kmh||Town - 50 kmh|
|Monaco||Motorway - 130kmh||Rural - 90 kmh||Town - 50 kmh|
|Italy||Motorway - 130kmh||Rural - 90 kmh||Town - 50 kmh|
|Switzerland||Motorway - 120kmh||Rural - 80 kmh||Town - 50 kmh|
|Germany||AUTOBAHN!!!!||Rural - 100 kmh||Town - 50 kmh|
|Belgium||Motorway - 120kmh||Rural - 90 kmh||Town - 50 kmh|
|Luxembourg||Motorway - 130kmh||Rural - 90 kmh||Town - 50 kmh|
|Denmark||Motorway - 130kmh||Rural - 80 kmh||Town - 50 kmh|
|Norway||Motorway - 100kmh||Rural - 80 kmh||Town - 50 kmh|
|Netherlands||Motorway - 120kmh||Rural - 90 kmh||Town - 50 kmh|
|Portugal||Motorway - 120kmh||Rural - 90 kmh||Town - 50 kmh|